By: Lucius Metellus Anguis
Lucius Metellus Anguis is the main character in the new historical fantasy novel, Children of Apollo, Book I of the Eagles and Dragons series by Adam Alexander Haviaras.
Ancient Rome. It's noisy, crowded…and dangerous. You wake up in a corner of the Forum, unfriendly eyes follow your every move.
Hush now. Don't look surprised. I can tell you're not from around here.
Where are you from? Gaul? Iberia? Maybe Alexandria?
No matter. What matters now are the Suburan thugs behind me and to my left. No. Don't look and don't worry.
They've been eyeing you for a while now.
I'm Lucius Metellus Anguis, Tribune in the III Augustan Legion, Numidia. I'm here, like most others, for the Emperor's triumph and games.
Now's our chance. Follow me! Hurry and stay close.
Good. We've lost them. Now, listen to me.
I've travelled much with the Legions, seen many things. From Rome to the burning pyre that was Ctesiphon, from the brothels of Alexandria to the sand seas of Africa Province.
There are things that you must know in order to survive in the Empire.
1. You need money. Before betting your hard-earned sesterces on a gladiator, befriend the lanista. He may be inclined to give you a friendly tip.
2. Never leave home without your dagger. I know I never do. You never know when you might be set upon.
3. Deal with traitors and those prone to insubordination swiftly and without mercy.
4. Never trust politicians. They will use anyone to get ahead, trampling them on their way to popularity.
5. Never lie to the imperial family. They know everything.
6. The battlefield is safer than the imperial court.
7. Never show weakness. Someone is always waiting to take advantage and dance on your corpse.
8. When the streets of Rome grow quiet, something is definitely wrong.
9. Remember, family does not always mean loyalty.
10. Honour the Gods – especially those who watch over you.
There it is. Heed my advice and you'll have a better chance of living. I must go now. I am meeting someone at the temple of Venus and Rome.
Good luck and May the Gods watch over you.
About Adam Alexander Haviaras
Adam Alexander Haviaras is a writer and historian who has studied ancient and medieval history and archaeology in Canada and the United Kingdom. He currently resides in Toronto with his wife and children
Children of Apollo, is now available at Create Space and on Amazon.com. Watch the Children of Apollo book trailer on YouTube.
Check out Adam’s blog on ancient and medieval history and historical fiction at www.writingthepastblog.blogspot.com or, connect with Adam on Google+. Be sure to visit the Eagles and Dragons Facebook page where readers and lovers of ancient history can get the latest news on the series and check out loads of photos, maps and historical information about the world of Children of Apollo.